Learn Problems & complaints

Resolve a problem

Start with the retailer

If you have a problem with your electricity, gas, water or telecommunications account or bill, the first thing to do is to contact your retailer.
It’s best to have a clear idea of the problem, and if possible, of what you’d like the retailer to do for you. Write it down before making the phone call.

If you need someone to help you with this, a friend or family member could help you make the call.

Energy and Water Ombudsman of South Australia

If you have asked your retailer to fix an issue for you, and they have not done so, you can take the problem to the Energy and Water Ombudsman of South Australia (EWOSA).

All energy and water retailers that operate in South Australia are required to become members of the Ombudsman scheme – they must pay a membership fee.

The Ombudsman service is free for the customer to use. Retailers must pay if you, as their customer, need to use the scheme to resolve a dispute.

Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman

This free service supports individual consumers, occupiers and owners of property, small businesses and not-for-profits who have been unable to resolve their complaint with a phone or internet service provider. The Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman (TIO) will contact your provider on your behalf and in 90% of cases, it is resolved within 10 working days.


If there is a fault or problem with:

Water supply or sewerage service: contact SA Water 1300 729 283 (or your local water retailer).

Electricity supply: contact SA Power Networks, 13 13 66 (24/7 outages line) .

Gas supply: contact Australian Gas Networks, Gas Supply Faults hotline on 1800 898 220.

If you smell gas, DO NOT smoke, light matches, or use electrical equipment including phones and torches near the gas leak.
Contact 1800 GAS LEAK (1800 427 532)