Learn Introduction to utilities


When you move house, it is your responsibility to arrange for utilities accounts to be set up in your new home – and finalised in your old home. If you don’t, new tenants might continue to use a utility that’s in your name – and you’d be responsible for the bill.

It typically takes a few days’ notice to arrange for a “final meter read” that allows a final bill to be sent. It’s important to remember to arrange for this to happen before you hand over the keys to the property.

When a property is sold, SA Water bills are finalised by the conveyancers handling the sale. When a rental tenancy ends, the water meter may need to be read by the rental agent, in between the scheduled SA Water meter reads.