Learn Introduction to utilities

Introduction to Water

A supply of drinking water is essential to households and businesses. South Australia is said to be the driest state in the driest inhabited continent on Earth, so ensuring a secure water supply is particularly important.

In Adelaide, on average, 60% of the water supply comes from rainfall in the Mt Lofty Ranges, and the other 40% is brought from the Murray River. During a drought, up to 90% of the city’s water is taken from the river. Water from the Murray River is also piped to many other parts of South Australia.

Drinking water is also  provided by desalination plants at Leigh Creek, Hawker, Penneshaw, and Port Stanvac.

Throughout South Australia, the main supplier and retailer of water services is SA Water, though a number of minor and intermediate retailers are licensed to serve small numbers of customers.